Monday, September 10, 2012

THE CAGED COLIBRI (LETTERS FROM TAINOS IN PRISON)




The Caged Colibri
(Letters from Tainos inside the prison system)

By Cacike: Jose TureyCu Lopez
YAYA GUAILI ARA TAINO YUKAYEKE


"With the arrival of Christopher Columbus into the Caribbean, our ancestors the Tainos, were enslaved and imprisoned against their will and forced to work in mines, to dig for gold and kept from being free men and women. They were prohibited from governing their own lives and were kept under submission until they breathed their last breath. But through all the torture, and humiliation the Tainos never gave up and fought with everything they had for their freedom, even in the face of death.  Just like our Taino ancestors of the past, there are brothers and sisters who are incarcerated against their will like a caged Colibri (hummingbird). They wish to fly and show their colors and beauty but are presently incarcerated and are paying for mistakes they have made in their lives or have been illegally imprisoned like our Native North American Indian brother Leonard Peltier. But for whatever reason they are in their present state, these Taino brothers and sisters refuse to give up hope for a better future. They have written to us, because they are looking for their Taino ancestors, families and friends to help them create new beginnings and to one day rejoin their Taino families and dance the areito as free men and women. They also wish to share what knowledge they have about Taino & Boricua History.  We encourage everyone to write to these brothers and sisters and share with them kind words and knowledge of Taino Culture and help them to once again become as free, beautiful and new as the Phoenix, the Guaraguao and the Colibri"

Jose Antonio "TureyCu" Lopez
Cacike: YAYA GUAILI ARA TAINO YUKAYEKE

Note:    These are old letters and I have already responded to these brother's letters, but the Department of Corrections did not allow correspondence with these inmates as their policy at the time was this type of communications about cultural awakening or resurgence is considered contraband and the sending of feathers would be used as gang paraphernalia.  Everything I sent to them which were just information about our people and our Taino culture was sent back.  We must all write to our congressmen and to the superintendent of prisons to reconsider these ridiculous rules as they hinder the growth of the inmates who wish to grow spiritually and rehabilitate. How can inmates expect to rehabilitate if they aren’t allowed to explore who they are?  I don’t know if these Tainos are still incarcerated but if they are I'm sure these inmates (I call them human beings) would love to hear from anyone who would be willing to communicate with them.  http://www.theinmatelocator.com/    HELP US FIND THESE TAINOS AND WRITE TO THEM  If any Tainos who are currently incarcerated that are viewing this blog and wish to communicate with us can do so by writing to this blog or emailing us at YAYAGUAILITAINOTRIBE@gmail.com   

                                                                                                         January 25, 2001

Mr. Jose Antonio Lopez

         First and foremost I’d like to thank you for showing and expressing your true and most needed knowledge of our heritage and cultural awareness.  It brings joy to my spirit to know there are people who are proud of who and what they are and express themselves as such.  Long Live the Tainos of today’s era.

         Mr. Lopez, I have recently gotten word of your concern to awaken the sleeping eyes and lend a hand to those who want to be enlightened.  I am currently incarcerated, and nonetheless thirst for more knowledge of who I really am.  In an article you wrote you spoke of the Taino Warrior, and through everything they (we) still exist today.  Not too long ago I’ve started studying our culture and have not stopped.  I had no idea there were organizations such as the one you belong to.  I am truly sincere of being part of it.  I also share my thoughts and knowledge that I have of the Tainos and culture to anyone interested.  The information and studies are very limited in this prison.  So I am asking to share any knowledge, literature, or pamphlets that you can so that I might share the wealth.

         I am going to close this message, and once again I thank you and appreciate all that you are doing as well as the other members.  If by any chance I do not receive a response it was an honor to write to you.
                                                                     Sincerely,
     Jose Alberto Cruz #314557
     168 Frontage Rd.
                                                                   Northern State Prison
                                                                   P.O. Box 2300
                                                                   Newark, N.J.  07114




Dear Jose Turey Cu Lopez, or whoever absorbs the wisdom of my brief message.

Please allow me the chance to participate in your movement.  I would like the opportunity to learn cultural wisdom and understanding.  The knowledge of my ancestors has been my focus for years.  As a matter of fact, it’s been my priority for the past 5 years of my incarceration.  I just haven’t been fortunate to find a source for literature and teaching.  I have been content with what I found within the units.  But I would now like to have my own to learn from.  That way I could teach and guide those who seek.  I am willing to buy my supplies -- I just need a direct connection, someone that cares enough to see me learn who I am.  Please understand that I’m only locked up in N.J.  I live in N.Y.  I just made an immature mistake out here when I was 18 years old.  I am 24 now. I’m a lot wiser, mature and focused on the oppression, as well as the culturally illiterate Brothers and Sisters within our worlds.  I need the chance to take part in something positive – become a true noble and productive resurrector of the rare seven-sense plane someday.  Or at least struggle and die fighting for it.  I am tired of being practically dormant in these vital centers.  So please help me at least awake this area of consciousness.

                                                                     Thank you

                                                                     Edwin Carrion
                                                                     #290543
                                                                    168 Frontage Rd.
               Northern State Prison
               P.O. BOX 2300 CELL#418
               NEWARK N.J. 07114


                                                                    January 25, 2001

To:  Mr. Jose Antonio Lopez:

         I chant to the almighty Yucahu that upon arrival of this message you and your loved ones are found in the absolute best mentally, physically/spiritually.

         I read some of the material my brother had gotten from the web site.  I have read many books pertaining with our culture which I seen many things that I read on “The Rape of Paradise.”  So I see a lot in you that proves you are one of my true brothers.  Now my grandfather used to enlighten me on our beliefs and how we got the name Taino.

         He expressed that Agueybana had a vision when he was on his vision ritual.  He explained that he seen Juracan come from the sea and he was going to punish us.  He said we had to do Arieto Taino which meant (Humble Merciful) in order for Juracan not to bring destruction to our island.  Then, when the serpent named Cristobal Colon came we believed he was the Juracan.  Since Colon believed he landed on India, he said we were Indians.  Since he heard us make Arieto Taino he believed we were the “Taino Indians.”

         I also read a book called “Taino, the Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus.”  He explains we are Arawaks and when Columbus arrived we were Lokonos in Borinquen.  So I started to believe what my grandfather use to tell me.  Yet the religious practice is not taught to me since my grandmother was a “Santera” and grandfather believed in different beliefs.  He always argued with her because she claimed that we use to stuff our beliefs in “Santos”.  My grandfather use to tell her that’s true but we believed in Yucahu, Juracan, Atabey and so on.  She believed in Chango and Babalu which is the belief of the Africans.

         I need serious enlightening on our culture and I am devoted to learn as much as I can because in all my life I have been searching for true knowledge.

         If you know of some books. please send me the information so I can purchase them.  I am in prison and I have read a lot of on culture.  Yet I wrote Agueybana bookstore in Brooklyn asking for a catalog and they never answered back. 

         I also would like to trace my roots because I only had the chance to know my fathers grandmother and my mother’s grandfather – I didn’t get the opportunity to learn everything that my grandfather had because he left us when I was young.

         I know about the ritual of Nieta, which now the people make it into an association which offends me in many ways.  They did that ritual to me when I was born.  Now I get embarrassed to let people know on that ritual and when I see people claiming to be Nietas I ask what does it mean.  My brother out of all the people knew one and he is from the Island feel me?

My name is Angel Manuel Ayala III, I have family in the Bronx
Titi Rosa from 168th and Grand Concourse.

         My mom’s father is Guillermo Lopez from Arecibo, my grandma is Otilia Velasquez from Lares.  My mom’s name is Maria M. Espinosa Lopez.  My father’s name is Angel Manuel Ayala
II, his father name is Angel Manuel Ayala Cintron (Papito) his mother’s name was Cecilia Dejesus Santiago, she is from Arecibo my papito was from Bayamon and moved to Arecibo.

I have a lot of family I don’t know which bothers me because my sister was working with this man for 5 years and he heard her full name one time.  He said you are my cousin, you have a brother named Angel Manuel Ayala III your grandfather is Guillermo Lopez.  So she was scared and called my mom she said mom you know a man named Angel Espinosa?  That’s my cousin why?  He has been working with me and I never knew that.

         I’m looking for the breakdown of the Flags, which I will send to see if it's correct.

         Well my brother it is a delight in writing you but I must bring this message to a close as I came with my sincere respect and never ending
brotherly love.        Un Solo Amor! 
                          
                                           Brother Yangoo





“The Boriqua Flag” the name of this proud flag is “La Excala Estraba” de Borinqueña.  It was made in the year (1868).  It’s existence is 133 years old.  It was created by Ramon Emetrio Betances.  It was served by Mariana; her real name was Maria Ana Bracetis.  She was known as the “Golden Sun.”

1. The four corners symbolize:

  A - “Ignorance” of our native Arawaks, that didn’t know the truth of the Spaniard man.

    B- “Slavery” of our native Arawaks and the abuse on the Africans.
   
    C- “Exploitation” of our race from the Spaniards.
   
  D- Disease” the European infested our native people.  The word Taino signifies “Man of Peace”.

2. The two squares on the top are blue in color and symbolize:
   
    A- The Caribbean Ocean, and the Atlantic Sea.  The two bodies of water that surround the Island of Borinquen.
   
    B- The multitude of people that fought for the liberation of the Island of Borinquen.

3. The two squares on the bottom are red in color and symbolize:

   A- The blood that was spilled in 1511 for Agueybana II.  He revolted for the liberation of our people.  Agueybana was his uncle one of the Caciques.  The God of the God’s was Yucahu.
   
    B
-         The blood that was shed on September 23, 1868.  It was known as “El Grito De Lares.”  The war for the constitution of Borinquen.  Liberty one
-          
-          
-         holler to claim liberty.  Arawak, African, Spaniards, Creole, Mulato, Jibaro.

4. The star is white, it symbolizes:

A- The five towns that fought for our liberation and continue to fight.

 (1) Lares, (2) Ponce, (3) Caguas, (4) Mayaguez, (5) Arecibo. 

The closed fist touching your heart, and extended to the sky symbolizes the salute.  United all of us for our liberty.

5. The cross on the flag symbolizes:
   
    A-   White the peace of Catholic Apostle Church

    B-   A cross-while we are not liberated there will be no peace.

6. The pole of the flag represents:
   
    A- The power of the patriot.
        
The two holes on the flag represent:
   
 A- The parties of the revolution, the nationalist and the liberal party.
   
The rope represents:
   
   A- The honor of the revolution for liberty.

7. The ball on the pole symbolizes:



   A- The Patriotism for the Island of Borinquen.

Un Solo Amor!
                                                           Brother Yangoo

Post Script:  I have the Puerto Rican Flag breakdown yet I can’t find it.  If this is correct let me know. Also, if you have any material dealing with our cultural religious beliefs please let me know how much it costs so I can purchase them.  Gracias por todo mi hermano!

ANGEL MANUEL AYALA III
#293450 D-UNIT Northern State Prison
168 Frontage Rd.
P.O. BOX 2300
NEWARK, N.J. 07114

 ã Copyright 2000, 2001.
No whole or part of this document may be reproduced in any form, shape, or matter without the explicit written permission of the author.  Any violation or infringements or this copyrighted material shall result in criminal prosecution, and criminal charges shall be pressed to the fullest extent of the Law.   Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or exhibition of copyrighted materials.  Criminal copyright & trademark infringement is investigated by the F.B.I., and may subject the offender civil liability and felony with a maximum penalty of up to five years in prison and / or a $250,000 fine (Title 17, United States Code Sections 501 and 506).




1 comment:

  1. Takahi Casike Lopez - there are so many brothers and sisters that are starving to know their Taino heritage. It is our obligation as Taino people to teach them the ways of our ancestors. I am 100% in agreement with you in reaching out to our brothers and sisters who are incarcerated. Continue the good work. Seneko kakona, Taino Ti.

    ReplyDelete